Cilia

Cilia
Social Impact Design

Monday, September 19, 2011

Some initial thoughts

We arrived to the compound around 1030 pm. By the faint moonlight, I could make out the silhoutte of the mountains, a grey mass shooting up into the dark night sky. Physically exhausted from a whole day of travel, it was hard to believe it was real.


In the morning, I awake to find us completely surounded by mountains and palm trees! My phone was still set on eastern time, so I accidently woke up an hour early, but did not notice the mistake until I was all showered and dressed ready to eat... But it was nice, I had some time to walk around and soak in the reality: I am in Peru!We arived at a religious retreat, which is quite a large area. it has one mess hall, 4 buildings, with beds showers, a pool and lockers, as well as quite a few gazebos. It is built into a hillside, so the view from the dorms is great, with a terraced view of the complex.


We had a long day of "being talked to" as one person put it. This can be quite tiring. Around 5:30, I felt utterly drained. My body is going through a lot of changes, the season, the food, the pollen, the baceria ect. Very tired.

For dinner, he had Papas Huancainas, a dish that I tried making at my going away party. They tasted the same! I am very excited to cook (and eat) Peruvian food.


Tomorrow, I will meet my host family for the first time. I hope they like and accept me into their household. I am a little nervous but mostly excited. I am falling asleep as I write this, but wish I could have had internet to talk to those I miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment